Dr. Erin Stevens always knew she wanted to be a doctor, but it was a personal experience that led her toward a career as an OBGYN.
After her own grandmother died due to complications of endometrial cancer, Dr. Stevens realized her grandmother’s life could have been extended if she had sought help at the onset of her symptoms. However, like many women, her grandmother was so busy taking care of everyone else and didn’t want to be a burden or worry to others by bringing it up.
“I realize the importance of women having someone they can comfortably confide in about sensitive issues without feeling judgment.”
As an OBGYN, Dr. Stevens enjoys being a confidante for women and providing the care and support to help them live to their full, happy, healthy potential. From sex education and contraception to providing continuity of care and bringing new lives into the world, Dr. Stevens truly loves every aspect of women’s healthcare. Special areas of interest are family planning, minimally-invasive surgery and managing high-risk pregnancies.
An advocate for women in and out of the doctor’s office, Dr. Stevens launched the annual “Crimson Kit” drive at Clinic Sofia to gather period products to help women experiencing homelessness or displacement due to domestic violence. In addition, she serves on the board of Haven Housing, which helps give women in crisis or transition by providing a stable environment and a range of support services.
Dr. Stevens is also deeply interested in legislation affecting women’s health. A member of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, she serves on the Minnesota Legislative Committee, focusing on advocacy for women’s health issues, as well as the Minnesota Advisory Council, which concentrates on education. Further, she is a member of the District 6 Young Physician Council and is the Minnesota Young Physician Representative for that district, where she will share her interest in healthcare on a larger scale.
In addition, Dr. Stevens is a recipient of the prestigious Gellhaus Residency Advocacy Fellowship and has had the opportunity to visit Washington, D.C. to learn about policy and political factors that influence the future of obstetrics and gynecology. Dr. Stevens additionally pens a column in Minnesota Parent Magazine, entitled “Ask the OBGYN”
Dr. Stevens considers herself “a Minnesotan through and through.” Born in Faribault, she grew up in Red Wing and attended Carleton College in Northfield. She also worked at Mayo Clinic in Rochester for a year before going to medical school at the University of Minnesota. After completing her residency in Delaware, she happily returned to her home state to work with Clinic Sofia.
Her hobbies include spending time with her husband, music, running and watching football.
Coming April 2020: “Unexpected: A Postpartum Survival Guide” – where Dr. Stevens sets the record straight about what happens to postpartum bodies, no matter their gender identity, delivery outcome for themselves or the baby, or parenting status. “From vaginal stitches to your first postpartum poop, Dr. Stevens walks you through warning signs from your body, questions to ask a healthcare professional, and supplies to build your own home postpartum survival kit. With advice on topics including breastfeeding and formula-feeding, exercise, and sexual activity, as well as resources to support your mental health and other needs, Unexpected illuminates even the darkest secrets of what happens to people postpartum.”
- Residency: Christiana Care Obstetrics and Gynecology; Newark, Delaware
- Medical School: University of Minnesota Medical School, MD
- Undergraduate: Carleton College; Northfield, Minnesota
- Board Certification: American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Fellow, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Member, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery Certification
- DaVinci Robotic Surgical Simulation, Christiana Care
Awards & Honors
- Gellhaus Resident Advocacy Fellowship
- William Slate Resident Research Award
- Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Award
- The Ryan Program Resident Award for Excellence in Family Planning
- Named a "Rising Star" by Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine, 2019
- TeamWomen WaveMaker award 2019
- ACOG MN Young Physician Representative, 6th District
- Haven House, Board of Directors
- Author, "Unexpected: A Postpartum Survival Guide"